Founded 1999. This blog is to give you a brief view of the History Society's work.
Chairman - Tony Brinsden,
Secretary - Ruth Roberts,
Treasurer - John Lewis-Tunster.
Village Website - www.llanteg-village.co.uk
Crunwere parish and the centre of Llanteg village - 1819 OS map - before the A477.
Showing the Oaklands Road coming up to join the lane to Trenewydd Farm but not continuing through the village.
The main routes were south from Trenewydd, south from Tavernspite and east along the old route which Is now only a footpath in parts that goes east from Trenewydd Lane behind the hall and then loops by the garage to go past the church field and on to Carmarthenshire. North of the parish:
Topographical directory of wales 1849 Cronwere (Crunwear) CRONWERE (CRUNWEAR), a parish, in the union and hundred of Narberth, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from Narberth; containing 282 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the eastern confines of the county, a short distance south of the turnpike-road from Laugharne to Narberth. It is bounded on the north by Lampeter, on the south by Amroath, on the west by Ludchurch, and on the east by Carmarthenshire, from which it is separated by a small brook.
The number of acres is about 2000, of which 1500 are arable, and 500 pasture.
The surface is of a hilly character: the soil is various; red earth, affording rich pasture, extends across a portion of the parish in a direction from north to south; other parts are cold and sterile, with a subsoil of clay; the earth covering the limestone portion is good, but liable to become soon parched and dry.
There is a village named Lanteague, the only one in the parish; also a corn-mill, and a mill where the coarse cloth of the country is prepared and dyed: a quarry is likewise worked, producing limestone of fine quality.
The living is a discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at £6. 16. 10½., and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £105; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe contains sixty-eight acres, valued at £50 per annum.
The church, dedicated to St. Elidyr, is a very ancient structure, now nearly in ruins, and contains 200 sittings. A Sunday school was established in the year 1820.
Den, Ivy Cottage, Lanteague Cottage, Little Downs, Locations of Lost Properties, Milton Back, Mountain Corner, Rigman Hill, Toll Gate, Perlin Hill, Bowman's Pit, Greenacre, Norton, Little Bounty, Pont Y Ddwy Sire, Rhydgoch, Clyne Bush, Bush, Clumps, Trenewydd Lodge. Bowman's Pit
Believed to have been near to Garness. Clumps
Believed to be north of the Crossland's Road. Clyne Bush/Bush
Believed to be north of the Crossland's Road North West of Broomylake.
1888 OS Map
To north of the parish above Three Wells
1888 OS Map
South of Zoar Chapel and Stanwell - some ruins hidden in the hedge on the eastern side of the road near the bend.
1888 OS Map
South of West Llanteg, now called Fern Villa
Lanteague old style spelling
1888 OS Map
Situated roughly just west of where the garage is today
Probably situated half way along the Crosslands Road between the Rectory and Trenewydd top lane. There is land there call Bountyland on which were the ruins. While in the corner of the lower field north of Crofty was what appeared to have been a garden. Access could easily have been obtained form the old road that ran behind Crofty, which was once a main thoroughfare.
1888 OS Map
South of A477 roughly where Brongwendraeth is today
1888 OS Map
North of Rose Cottage and west of Milton
1888 OS Map
North Of Rose Cottage and west of Milton Back
Houses south of Llanteg Crossroads. The area is still called Norton Shute by older residents. In 1841 there were two properties, both occupied by Daltons.
Located near to Ledgerland (to be checked)
Pont Y Ddwy Sire
Meaning Bridge of the Two Counties. This is believed to have been to the north of the parish near Peggy Roger's Corner and Pantglas, which is where the spring arises that divides the two counties.
Show on the 1842 Tithe Map as being on the right at the bottom of the hill where the Broomylake turning is north of the Rectory.
Rigman Hill1888 OS Map
North of Crunwere Farm
1888 OS Map
On the map it looks like it is on the south western corner of the crossroads
1888 OS Map
Was in a field and reached by a lane running West across in front of what is now Sandy Grove.
Have looked up the authority book on village names - called Place Names of Pembrokeshire.
Llanteg has been spelt many different ways over the centuries - Lanteg (1324 Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem), Llanteage (1569 Francis Green Manuscripts). Lanteague seems to date from 1789 (Picton Castle Coillection) while there was even a Nanteg in 1329 and other variations.
No specific mention of when the current spelling emerged - though it might have developed with the arrival of post offices etc. Something for us to look into!
The village is currently called LLANTEG - but the old Mountain Chapel has a different spelling of LANTEAGUE.
Also the houses around the old crossroads were also spelt LANTEAGUE back in 1888.
Oddly although the spelling is in the Welsh form of Llanteg it is always pronounced as if it was spelt Lanteague.
More information has come to light regarding Hugh Slader Glanville.
It seems he went from Greenhill School to study Agriculture at Aberystwyth University (thanks to Steve John for the info).
H.S.Glanville is also recorded on the War Memorial at the University, as well as at Greenhill.
We were also contacted by a Mr Powell whose grandfather fought alongside H.S.Glanville at Gaza.
It seems Benjamin Morgan rescued H.S.Glanville from the field of battle when he had been injured. This was such a daring deed of bravery under fire that Benjamin was awarded the Military Medal. Unfortunately H.S.Glanville died from his wounds.
Benjamin Morgan was from Boncath and was presented with the MM by the Duke of Connaught in Jerusalem on 20th March 1918.
Benjamin Morgan survived the war unscathed, only to later die from a fall in 1927.
Hugh Slader Glanville must have left a lasting impression on his friend Benjamin who later went on to name his son 'Glanville' in honour of his lost comrade.
It seems the Military Medal left the family after Benjamin Morgan
died in an accident aged just 30 years - leaving his wife with two
young children to bring up alone.
This was an old village rhyme recorded by Charles Shepperd in his little booklet 'St Elidyr, Crunwere, A Historical Note 1933'.
This rhyme is connected with the stream that divides Crunwere parish form its neighbours and is also the dividing line between Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire: Nanny the Bog and Cold Well, Castle Ely House and Castle Ely Mill; Garness House and Garness Mill, Bowman's Pit and Perlin Hill; Ledgerland and the Tucking mill, Cats' Nest and Donkey Hill. 'All the land form Garness House to Cats' Nest is in the parish. Some of these no longer exist, only the names being remembered.'
an article in the Saturday Mail magazine – summer 2013 by Monty Halls
Country lanes, forged by our forebears over many
millennia and still alive with the ghosts of the past.
These are timeless tracks, worn deep into the earth
by foot, hoof, wheel and vehicle.
They cross our countryside in a network that shows
the passage of ancient routes from village to village, meeting then dividing,
sometimes converging on a single point, a confluence of thousands of years and
Some country lanes are less a road and more of a
canyon with high walls that retain the cool air of night yet become a stifling
furnace when the sun is high in the sky.
We tend to take our history for granted in the UK
which makes us immune to our surroundings, to the footsteps in which we tread.
So walking an old lane think of those who have gone
There is a reason these lanes are cut deep into the
earth; it is the long passage of time and trade.The lane would have started out as a simple
path, the first steps would have flattened the grass on the surface, over time
it would have become a known route and the grass would have given way to bare
soil, worn away by regular footsteps.Countless
trips back and forth, as one century passed into another, saw the track worn
Dark and mysterious, packed with wildlife and echoing
with the muffled footsteps of the ghosts of those who have gone before.
by Mark Lewis of Tenby Museum (published in PembRokeshire Life Magazine July 2013)
‘This important event required strict security.
Restrictions were imposed along the coast from Tenby to Laugharne and inland to a depth of six miles.
Extra restrictions were put on civilian movement.
A curfew operated from dusk until dawn between July 12 and August 9.
Civilians were forbidden to carry cameras, binoculars or telescopes and had to carry their identity cards with them at all times, and on-the-spot checks were made to see that these regulations were being followed.
Mail, telegraph and telephone, were subject to censorship.
Control points were set up on all roads and railway stations leading into the area.’
Thanks to Johnnie Bachusky from Canada an article was published in the Canadian Post on 9th November which related John Lloyd;s story and also stated that the Commonwealth War Grave Commission intend to provide Private Lloyd with a memorial at Lovett - not on his exact grave as we are not sure which one it is, but on a vacant plot within the tiny Lovett Cemetary in Alberta.
The success story for 2012 was being able to get John Lloyd officially recognised as a War Casualty after 93 years and have him remembered at our Remembrance Day ceremony for the first time.
Our next mission is to try and locate his grave at Lovett, Alberta.
c. Derek Lloyd
died 10th November 1918
John Lloyd married into the James family of Ruelwall, Llanteg.
Sarah Jane, John Lloyd and two of their children
c. Derek Lloyd
Gravestone at Crunwere Church - where four of his children are buried
John Lloyd has a gravestone in Crunwere which just states D. Lovat, Canada, with him dying on 11/11/1918 aged 44yrs - four of his children are also buried in the grave.
Large family gravestone at Eglwyscummin
John also has a family gravestone at Eglwyscummin Church, also stating he was buried at Lovat.
John enlisted in Canada:
John Lloyd Regimental # 101679, joined 22 Feb 1916, Edmonton, Alberta 66th Overseas Battalion, Edmonton Guards Embarkation, 66th Battalion, Halifax, SS Olympic—April 28, 1916
Giving his next of kin as at Ruelwall.
c. Steve John
c. Derek Lloyd
John Lloyd is on the Lampeter Velfrey War Memorial – but he does not show up on any list of War Casualties – either here or Canada.
John reached France on 6 July 1916 and was sent to 1st Canadian Entrenching Battalion in the field. John paraded sick on 5 Dec 1916 after "exposure to shell fire on the Somme". On 3rd Sept 1917 John paraded sick again at Vimy Ridge. He was immediately sent back to base hospital, and then invalided back to England. He was in Etaples 12 days, Bethnal Green 12 days, Bromley 10 days, Bushy Park 16 days, Buxton 2 months, and Liverpool 5 weeks.
He was then invalided back to Canada on the Llandovery Castle on 28th Feb 1918, to Halifax. He was in hospital in Wetaskiwin, Alberta for 2 months, He was discharged from service on 17th Aug 1918 at Calgary, with the intention of living in Edmonton.
John died on 11th Nov 1918. Death was attributed to military service. According to the gravestones John died on 11th November but his death certificate records the 10th.
In 1925 a scroll and plaque were sent to his widow.
20 June 2012 - Thanks to the work of Steve John and relatives John Lloyd has now been officially recognised as a Casualty of War:
Canadian Book of Remembrance
We are still trying to locate John's actual grave in Lovett Cemetery, Alberta, but have been kindly sent these images of the graveyard and Ghost Town and Mine: